OT: Web Application Hosting

Nathan England nathan at nmecs.com
Mon May 16 14:40:39 MST 2016

I have been using Digital Ocean for several years now and I have dozens
of droplets running Centos. My typical scenario consists of spinning up
a droplet, configuring it for lamp, and developing to my clients specs.
All development is done locally and then moved to the droplet for client
testing and everything else that comes along with consulting.

Once everything is completed and the client is happy, in every case, I
have then moved the application to a different web host, such as
Rackspace or GoDaddy, depending on what the client requests or their
ability to self-manage...

In all the years I have worked with these hosts, along with others like
Bluehost and Hostgator, I have had significantly less problems with my
Digital Ocean virtual hosts than I have on any of the other
"professional" hosting companies.

I'm currently spending ~$1200 a month with Rackspace and have constant
issues, almost daily outages, and my dev servers for the same
application on DO have been up for months. (Some issues are purely
network related which is out of my control and Rackspace does not want
to acknowledge any issues, and some are purely because some people in
China want to be my friend...)

Is anyone else using DO for production environments? I guess my real
issue is I've not used DO with a major application under sustained heavy
load (cpu/memory/network).

--

Nathan England
nathan at nmecs.com