Crap! HDMI... :( Update...

kitepilot at kitepilot.com kitepilot at kitepilot.com
Thu Mar 17 08:35:54 MST 2016

Well...
Crappy cable!
Took laptop to Micro Center and they plugged it there with a good cable to a
4K TV (in Window$)
All good...

Bought a cable and plugged to my 4K TV.
All good...

Linux still doesn't work.
The battle begins over the weekend because I am looking at airplanes tonite
and driving home tomorrow.   :)
More later...
ET

kitepilot at kitepilot.com writes:

> Thanks!
> I validated the cable and the TV via a DVD player.  Which leaves the
> problem to be a software problem or some of incompatibility between the
> laptop's hardware and the cable/TV interaction combo.
>
> I'll go validate what it was that I bought as mini-display-to-VGA adapter.
> ET
>

> Todd Millecam writes:
>
>> Well, either your HDMI port is electrically broken on the board (TV or
>> Laptop, could be one or the other, hard to tell from an email), or it's a
>> software issue.
>>
>> In linux you can at least have a look at lspci to see if it sees the hdmi
>> port there, that'll tell you if the Linux kernel sees it and whether or
>> not
>> it's a hardware issue.  If it sees it, then it's something in the
>> software
>> stack that's not working, probably in Xorg.
>>
>> In terms of the mini display port adapter, most of those are the cheap
>> passive adapter, which means they can only broadcast a signal out, they
>> can't hear back from whatever device is on the other end.  You could try
>> finding an active adapter (they're about 5x as much in terms of cost).
>> The
>> active adapter has a better chance of supporting a full 4k resolution.
>>

>> On Wed, Mar 16, 2016 at 10:54 AM, <kitepilot at kitepilot.com> wrote:
>>
>>> In my infinite wisdom, I bought yesterday a laptop (Asus ROG GL752VW)
>>> and
>>> a 4K TV to use as a monitor.
>>> Stupid Windows 10 would not detect HDMI.
>>> OK, screw it, I'm going to dual-boot the thing anyway.
>>> Well, latest-and-greatest Linux Mint (KDE) doesn't detect the HDMI
>>> either... :(
>>> So...
>>> I bought a 'mini display port-to-VGA' adapter and plugged it VGA into
>>> the
>>> TV.  It works, but I only get the same laptop resolution (1920x1080)
>>> 8-(
>>> So...
>>> Questions are:
>>> 1.- Can I expect my full 4K resolution if I get the #$@! HDMI working?