Dell RAM limit

Todd Cole toddc at azloco.com
Fri Mar 4 12:20:30 MST 2016

ram specs are based on testing when new. Often a bios upgrade if available
may allow more and or I often have great luck just trying (trial and error)
sometimes I think they only test what they have easy access to on new
hardware while larger sizes of ram come out every day.
when using virtualbox or most virtual hosts ram can be over shared due to
memory ballooning see link for more details
https://docs.oracle.com/cd/E26217_01/E35769/html/virtualbox.html

On Fri, Mar 4, 2016 at 12:10 PM, Snyder, Alexander <alex at misteralexander.com
> wrote:

> Quoted:
> [*I want to add more RAM, however Dell says I am limited to 8Gb.  The cpu
> will do 32Gb. Would like 16Gb.  Any work around?*]
>
> What slots do you have available on your motherboard?  Regardless what
> anyone says, or what your ChipSet can handle, if your mobo does have slots
> for it, then that's it.
>
> More info please!
>
> --
> Thanks,
> --:: Alexander J. Snyder ::--
> --:: ThisGuyShouldWorkFor.Us <http://thisguyshouldworkfor.us> ::--
> --:: "Never trust a computer you can't throw out a window. --Steve
> Wozniak" ::--
> --
>
> On Fri, Mar 4, 2016 at 11:41 AM, Keith Smith <techlists at phpcoderusa.com>
> wrote:
>

>> Hi,
>>
>> I bought a Dell Inspiron 3847 last year (i5-4460/8gb ram/1tb hd).
>>
>> I want to add more RAM, however Dell says I am limited to 8Gb.  The cpu
>> will do 32Gb. Would like 16Gb.  Any work around?
>>
>> My desktop is using 4.1 GB (so reports free) with just the browser,shell,
>> skype and Linux Mint KDE.
>>
>> I opened one server on VirtualBox and now free says 4.6Gb used. (Cent 6)
>> That server is allotted 2Gb  The VirtualBox server is idle if that makes a
>> difference.  I might want to have 3 different VirtualBox servers running at
>> any given time.
>>
>> Started another VirtualBox server (allotted 2Gb of RAM) (Ubuntu 14.04).
>> RAM used is now 5.2Gb.  Server is idle.
>>
>> Started a 3rd VirtualBox server (allotted 2Gb of RAM) (Cent 7).  RAM used
>> is now 5.6Gb.  Server is idle.
>>
>> I seem to have enough RAM for this, however if I open a spreadsheet, add
>> more tabs to my browser, or actually do something with the VB servers I
>> could run dangerously low or out.
>>
>> Any insight as to how Dell limits RAM and how I might bypass that
>> limitation?
>>
>> Than you so much for your insight.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Keith