4k tv / monitors

David Schwartz newsletters at thetoolwiz.com
Thu Jun 23 11:01:26 MST 2016

I’m running a stock (but fully-loaded) MacBook Pro:

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2014)

Processor: 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7

Memory: 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M 2048 MB

My monitor is a Seiki 39” 4k monitor. It’s plugged into the HTMI port on the MBP. I usually keep the laptop closed.

I currently have 14 desktops with maybe 30 browser windows open in Chrome and ~60 tabs open; 20 Safari windows open with ~30 tabs open; and several other apps I keep open as well.

Chrome has a lot of memory problems, for sure. It slows the entire system down after a while, and I’ve noticed that the more windows on a given desktop, the slower things run. Swithcing to a desktop with fewer browser windows open on it clearly improves performance.

-David "The Tool Wiz" Schwartz