4k tv / monitors

Michael Butash michael at butash.net
Thu Jun 23 09:31:42 MST 2016

System is a 4700K intel pro, 32gb of ram, x99 gigabyte mobo, and my
mentioned 7970 soft-moded to a r9-280.

It actually runs just dandy, memory being a big part of that.  I do run
out of 32gb of ram periodically when things misbehave, I've seen pulse
volume control chew up 12gb with memory leaks, chrome+chromium+40 tabs
each using 28gb of ram, having to run windoze and give it 8gb+ too.  I
usually keep htop running somewhere on there to keep the unruly apps in
line.  Next board will be a dual socket just to get more ram slots.

Usually I blow out xwindow client counts before I exhaust memory.
Chrome|chromium is good about hoarding your resources stealthily.

Video is usually my grief - I'd use nvidia if they were better about
support multi-monitor arrays, but apparently they still think it's 2005
and no one does this with linux.  Sad I can still go by a 10 year old
amd video card and do what nvidia cannot/will not.  That and wm's all
loving compositing full screens, never thinking about if a gpu can
actually render more exotic size desktops like mine.  I'd rather be
stable than have wobbly windows, thanks.

-mb