4k tv / monitors - tips

Brian Cluff brian at snaptek.com
Sun Jun 19 14:27:12 MST 2016

If you want to use a large 4K TV as a monitor, I highly recommend you
do.  I've been running a 55inch since last Christmas and it's been great
with a few caveats.

* I wouldn't recommend anything larger than 50" to 55" or you will find
yourself having to turn you head a lot.

* Do a TON of research before you buy, Most 4K TVs have a TON of lag,
meaning that when you move the mouse the pointer won't move for up to a
half second after you start.  Even a medium amount of lag will will
drive you insane.  Unfortunately I didn't know about the lag so My
living room got my first attempt and I'm out a lot more money.

* You'll also want to get a TV that is capable of running at 60h, many
of the cheaper one only run at 24hz and while it's useable, it's not
very smooth and you'll wish you have paid a little more, but more than
likely a tv that only runs at 24hz will also have horrendous lag, so
you'll find it to be unusable.

* Lastly, you'll want to find a monitor that does 4:4:4 Chroma
Subsampling. If you don't get a full 4:4:4 chroma subsampling then you
aren't getting the real colors for every pixel as your display will be
lossy.  You might be thinking that you only program and you don't really
care if your colors are exact, but because your loosing color
information it can really make text very hard to read under certain
circumstances. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chroma_subsampling

* A curved TV can help a little on a computer... they are kinda stupid
for a living room though... not necessary, but it is a nicety.

* As mentioned before TVs don't provide EDID information while off, so
unless you are planning on leaving you TV on all the time, it might
cause strange behaviors with your desktop as the plug and play stuff can
get into the way and leave your computer wondering why is doesn't have a
display device available at all.  Some things that can be done is to
directly define your monitor setup in the xorg.conf file, or get an EDID
hardware cache, but those can be expensive.

That's all I can think of off the top of my head, but I believe that is
the most important stuff for purchasing a TV to re-purpose as a monitor.

Brian Cluff