4k tv / monitors

Michael Butash michael at butash.net
Sun Jun 19 10:43:27 MST 2016

More desktop really, some ergonomics. I moved from 6x old 24" 1080p
displays that my neck would hurt having to look down constantly for
them, and find my neck doesn't hurt now that I tend to work level set
with my head with the 3x 48's.  I didn't want to craft some sort of
riser for all 6 displays, and began working on the notion of going with
a big screen tv (or 3).  They also put out less heat (I think) than my
old flock of displays.

Mine were 24", so I went roughly double to 48" with mine as I wanted
more height ala a double row of displays.  I almost wish I'd gone 55",
but might have been too big as the next step up.

Don't do 30hz displays, general reading tends to indicated it's not good
to use, but I did use 30hz for a day or so before figuring out how to
trick my displays into 60hz mode.  It wasn't terrible, but noticeable.

Mine are samsung ju6700's, and got them for $630ea, the new ku models
are coming out for 2016, so 2015's are blowing out.  Buying nice 32" 4k
curved displays was generally more, only to get a displayport input on
them and power management.

Note as Brian said too, some WM's are having issues with use of a TV, as
they do not "sleep", they're either on or off, and when off, no longer
look connected like a monitor would.  This freaks out the WM's,
especially KDE, and to some extent the video card too.  I'm using an old
7900 amd card that handles it and gaming mostly just fine, so don't
believe the hype you need a nvidia gtx 960 or higher.

They also aren't terribly friendly to figure out a good method of
on/off.  My tv's are all networked, so I thought to use the remote
control api on a network socket to turn it on and off via a script, but
seems once off, their little arm soc that runs the tv suspends and goes
offline to wake it up the same.  Only a hardware event like IR or push
button wakes it up.  I found that pretty dumb, not sure how common that
is among tv vendors, but something to watch for.

Another fun thing - most video cards don't have hdmi2.0, and if they do,
generally only one.  Most cases you're not sick to want/need 3x of them,
so one might suffice, but otherwise you'll want to look at adapters like
these to use displayport 1.2 to hdmi 2.0 I'm using:

http://www.club-3d.com/index.php/products/reader.en/product/displayport-12-to-hdmi-20-uhd-active-adapter.html

-mb