Ubuntu

Ted Gould ted at gould.cx
Sat Jun 18 12:14:53 MST 2016

On Sat, 2016-06-18 at 10:14 -0700, Dennis McClellan wrote:
> I get the gray frozen screen, not always, but often. After a few
> seconds or sometimes minutes a message pops up and states “Ubuntu has
> a problem and needs to shut this program down.
What happens there is Compiz (the WM for Unity) pings applications
every so often with an X message to see if they respond. If the
application doesn't return the "everything is okay" message back Compiz
desaturates the application's windows to show that it isn't responding.
Generally this means that there is a problem with the application, but
it could mean that it's just working on something else and not
responding to its X11 event stream.
I like the feature, but if you find it annoying you can go into
CompizConfig Settings Manager and adjust the "Ping Delay" under
"General Options" to be something wildly large and it is unlikely to
happen again. Default is 5 seconds.
Ted