printer opinions

Tom Roche Tom_Roche at pobox.com
Mon Jan 25 18:55:41 MST 2016

Brian Cluff [1]
> Most of the [laser] printers I was pricing had toner cartridges that cost about $50-$70 each.

But that's for *new* cartridges, no? IIUC, after the initial purchase most folks just refill the cartridges for much cheaper. If you can't afford any downtime, just buy 2 cartridges, so you can have one at the refiller.

Best advice I got on this subject was: before you buy a laser printer, ask the folks @ the nearest refiller (or wherever you plan to have it done) how much it costs to refill the cartridge and how reliable the refills are. Some cartridges refill easily, others are apparently engineered to resist--some manufacturers apparently low-ball printer prices to "make it back" on the consumables.

FWIW, Tom Roche <Tom_Roche at pobox.com>

[1]: http://lists.phxlinux.org/lurker/message/20160125.181622.655295ca.en.html