printer opinions

Brian Cluff brian at snaptek.com
Mon Jan 25 11:16:22 MST 2016

Make sure to compare the cost per page.  Most low and mid range laser
printers have relatively high costs per page when compared to other
printers.

For instance, when I was last in the market for a printer, Most of the
printers I was pricing had toner cartridges that cost about $50-$70
each.  With low end printers you would those cartridges would usually
have a yield of about 1500-2000 pages per cartridge.  Spend a little
more on the printer and you get a printer that will get 5000-8000 per
cartridge.  Spend a little more and you can get printers that will get
15000 to 20000 for the same $50-$70.

Of course it all depends on how much you print.  If you only use or a
ream of paper a year, it might not be worth the extra cost to get a
higher end printer since you'll probably replace it well before it's
worn out and you won't be feeding enough toner into it to make up for
the added cost.

I personally try to get a mid range printer due to the nice middle
ground of having slightly higher yields as well as the printer having
extra bells and whistles that the low end printers usually lack.

Brian Cluff