Change the filesystem on sd cards/usb sticks (was- Permissions)

Matt Graham mhgraham at crow202.org
Mon Jan 18 10:25:47 MST 2016

On 2016-01-18 08:13, Michael Havens wrote:
> ext3 at the time (99)) was superior to FAT because instead of
> filling in the nearest open space with data when it is told to write
> it scatters the data around on the disk. [...] I was
> thinking it might be a good idea to format sd cards and  thumb drives
> to ext3/ext4 for this reason. Is that a sound idea or am I mistaken?

All the SD cards I've seen have FAT filesystems on them.  The firmware
in cameras almost certainly can't handle anything other than FAT.
Android devices with SD slots probably expect FAT SD cards too, though
they might be able to handle ext3.

FAT actually makes sense for removable storage in many situations,
because everything can understand it and UIDs/GIDs don't make sense for
things that can be attached to different devices.  I don't think it'll
be possible to get rid of FAT for this reason.  (And isn't there
something called ExFAT that SD-using devices that take cards > 32G are
required to support?)

--
Crow202 Blog: http://crow202.org/wordpress
There is no Darkness in Eternity