Change the filesystem on sd cards/usb sticks (was- Permissions)

Michael Havens bmike1 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 18 08:13:06 MST 2016

I've been thinking of doing this for a while now.
When I first started my journey into *nix I was told  (or I heard someone
telling someone else) that the *nix filesystem (I suppose it was ext3 at
the time (99)) was superior to superior because instead of filling in the
nearest open space with data when it is told to write it scatters the data
around on the disk. Therefore you don't wear out the disk as fast because
you aren't writing to the same spots repeatedly (this has to do with data
fragmentation also). I was thinking it might be a good idea to format sd
cards and  thumb drives to ext3/ext4 for this reason. Is that a sound idea
or am I mistaken?

On Mon, Jan 18, 2016 at 9:28 AM, Matt Graham <mhgraham at crow202.org> wrote:

>>> On Sat, Jan 16, 2016 at 10:59 PM, Brian Cluff <brian at snaptek.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Did you accidentally flip the little switch on the side of the SD
>>> card that puts it in write protect mode?
>>>

> That was my first thought, but that's apparently not the problem.
>
> On 2016-01-17 17:32, Snyder, Alexander wrote:
>
>> By default, storage devices that are plugged into the system mount
>> automatically in the /media/<username> directory.
>>

> Some distros do this.  Mint is probably one of them.[0]  Most
> removable-media SD cards have a FAT32 filesystem on them, and FAT doesn't
> actually have Unix-style permissions.  These are faked at mount time
> according to the automounter's configuration, and generally the user who's
> logged in should be able to read and write the files on the mounted medium.
>
> So:  Unplug the device, then plug it in again and immediately do "dmesg |
> tail -n 40".  This'll tell you what the kernel thinks is going on with the
> SD card.  It might think the filesystem is damaged and so it's mounting it
> read-only, or something.
>
> [0] I don't think automounters are a good idea for various reasons.
>
> --
> Crow202 Blog: http://crow202.org/wordpress
> There is no Darkness in Eternity
> But only Light too dim for us to see.