Permissions

Matt Graham mhgraham at crow202.org
Mon Jan 18 07:28:15 MST 2016

>> On 01/16/2016 08:03 PM, dad wrote:
>>> Mint 17.3.  8 gig micro card and named the owner dad. [...]
>>> I installed a program called sound converter to convert the
>>> offensive
>>> files. The micro card will NOT let me add or delete files to it.
> On Sat, Jan 16, 2016 at 10:59 PM, Brian Cluff <brian at snaptek.com>
> wrote:
>> Did you accidentally flip the little switch on the side of the SD
>> card that puts it in write protect mode?

That was my first thought, but that's apparently not the problem.

On 2016-01-17 17:32, Snyder, Alexander wrote:
> By default, storage devices that are plugged into the system mount
> automatically in the /media/<username> directory.

Some distros do this.  Mint is probably one of them.[0]  Most
removable-media SD cards have a FAT32 filesystem on them, and FAT
doesn't actually have Unix-style permissions.  These are faked at mount
time according to the automounter's configuration, and generally the
user who's logged in should be able to read and write the files on the
mounted medium.

So:  Unplug the device, then plug it in again and immediately do "dmesg
| tail -n 40".  This'll tell you what the kernel thinks is going on with
the SD card.  It might think the filesystem is damaged and so it's
mounting it read-only, or something.

[0] I don't think automounters are a good idea for various reasons.

--
Crow202 Blog: http://crow202.org/wordpress
There is no Darkness in Eternity