restore with rsync or fix window manager

Brian Cluff brian at snaptek.com
Sat Jan 9 21:26:58 MST 2016

I hope you haven't overwritten your files yet.  If you aren't backing up
and restoring any config files then you aren't going be to restoring
anything that will fix your machine at all.  All you'll be doing is
writing older versions of your files possibly loosing data.  If you are
backing up configuration files, I would restore only those for now.

I would actually recommend that you backup (not restore) all your
current data and then reinstall from scratch including starting fresh
with new config files.  That way any weird situations you have going on
with your package dependencies will be eliminated.

Then start your regular dist-upgrades, making sure to look over any
files it says it's going to remove for anything that looks necessary to
the system.

If it is a user level configuration problem, you can check that by
creating a new user account and logging in with it.  If everything is
fine, then you know you have something to fix with your account.  If it
still broken, then look at the system itself and your user profile is
probably fine.

If your user profile is fine, a little piece of trivia that you might
not already know is that when you do a fresh install of an Ubuntu system
over an existing install, but you uncheck the format option on the
partition that the system is going to be installed to, it will delete
everything except for the /home directory leaving your user account(s)
intact.  It will even try and reinstall as much of the programs that you
already had installed so that the system will be back to where you left
it, only hopefully working this time.  I've only done it a couple of
times, but it's worked well for me both times.

Brian Cluff