swapiness

Michael Havens bmike1 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 5 11:26:29 MST 2016

I have a small copy n paste txt file for when my hard drive fails
(hopefully in the distant future) so I can get my new hard drive up and
running again as closely similar to the previous drive as possible.
I made the one command up myself and just discovered it does not work. That
command is:

  # Reduce the swap tendency
  cat >> /proc/sys/vm/swappiness <<eof
  > vm.swappiness=10
  eof

with the error of:

   cat: write error: Invalid argument

I have a similar

  sudo cat >> /etc/fstab << eof
  /media/bmike1/entertainment/Pictures /home/bmike1/Pictures none bind 0 0
  eof

which I do not believe was implemented  correctly as when I inspect 'mount'
there does not appear to be the entertainment directory or pictures
directories listed anywhere. So I suppose it is wrong then....

--