swapiness

Michael bmike1 at gmail.com
Mon Feb 29 22:43:31 MST 2016

have a desktop. in any case I searched google this swapiness question and
here is what it says:

"
After rebooting the swappiness is set to 10. This can be checked by
running the following command in a terminal: sudo cat
/proc/sys/vm/swappiness.
The swap tendency can have a value of 0 (fully off) to 100 (swap is
constantly used).
A workable and practical rule for changing the swappiness can be:
1 GB or more RAM: 10
Less than 1 GB of RAM: 1
*Tip:*
Your computer has less than 512 MB ​​of RAM? Try to change the
swap tendency to 0 (zero). With lower amount of memory installed, this
might even give a better result then changing the swap tendency to 1.
"

Why is 0 better than 1?

On Tue, Mar 1, 2016 at 12:38 AM, Kevin Fries <kevin at fries-biro.com> wrote:

> Linux is not Windows.  Linux can, and will run without using swap if it
> can.  Linux will remain RAM resident unless it has to.  So, what they are
> telling you is this... If you don't need swap, don't define it.
>
> There is one exception to this rule, since you are using a laptop.  There
> are two instant on technologies, sleep and hibernate.  One of the will
> stash the state to RAM, the other to swap.  I forget which is which.  But
> if it needs to go to swap, you will need a swap file equal to RAM if you
> use that feature.
>
> Kevin
> On Feb 29, 2016 10:32 PM, "Michael" <bmike1 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> swapiness=..... 0? Remember; I am computer-illiterate!
>>
>> On Mon, Feb 29, 2016 at 11:47 PM, Todd Millecam <tyggna at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Disable swap.  Never activate it on boot.  If you start reaching oom
>>> conditions, turn it back on.

>>> --
>>> Todd Millecam

>> --