swapiness

Kevin Fries kevin at fries-biro.com
Mon Feb 29 22:38:44 MST 2016

Linux is not Windows.  Linux can, and will run without using swap if it
can.  Linux will remain RAM resident unless it has to.  So, what they are
telling you is this... If you don't need swap, don't define it.

There is one exception to this rule, since you are using a laptop.  There
are two instant on technologies, sleep and hibernate.  One of the will
stash the state to RAM, the other to swap.  I forget which is which.  But
if it needs to go to swap, you will need a swap file equal to RAM if you
use that feature.

Kevin