OT: Hiring for *NIX Production Support with Scripting

Victor Odhner vodhner at cox.net
Tue Feb 23 20:52:34 MST 2016

My former agent contacted me again about this, so I’m re-posting, with changes.

They’re looking for "mainly UNIX production support with scripting and SQL experience.” They need both *NIX and Windows server experience, but these don’t have to be in equal proportions.

Contact:
  Angela Willfong
  Senior Technical Recruiter
  Randstad Technologies
  480-776-3328
  angela.willfong at randstadusa.com <mailto:angela.willfong at randstadusa.com>
  www.randstadtechnologies.com <http://www.randstadtechnologies.com/>
  Gainey Center I
  8601 N. Scottsdale Rd, #250
  Scottsdale, AZ 85253

Angela put me into a job that totaled 14 years over a 16 year period. During a gap, they got me some fill-in work, and negotiated me back into the other job; later worked hard to get me into another job with impossible specs, even offering to send me away for training. Good folks.

Customer’s Requirements:
  (Req may be adjusted for higher qualifications.)

3+ years of current working experience with enterprise level operating systems such as *NIX (Red Hat Enterprise Linux or Solaris) and Windows Server.
3+ years of current working experience with Dell, HP, and IBM servers and the various hardware components.
3+ years of current working experience supporting virtualized environments (VMWare/Solaris Zones/HyperV).
Strong analytical skills Excellent communication skills using both verbal and written skills across all levels of management.
Preferred Skills For this opportunity, we would prefer to find a candidate with both Linux and Windows experience, however they can be stronger in one or the other, BUT they must have the practical experience for supporting the platforms.

This position will utilize their deep knowledge of operations engineering, application support and server administration skills that enable high availability, scalable and reliable customer experience. Works on significant assignments that are broad in scope and complexity, may cross several functional and organizational boundaries, and cover a wide range of issues. Exercise independent judgment in the selection of methods and techniques used to deliver operational solution. Creates procedures and documentation for the group to utilize. May be a technical lead for complex projects. Will be required to be in on-call production support rotation. This includes after hours and weekends.

Good Luck,

Victor Odhner