cyanogen/LineageOS phone recommendations

der.hans PLUGd at LuftHans.com
Wed Dec 28 13:35:10 MST 2016

Am 28. Dec, 2016 schwätzte Anon Anon so:

moin moin,

> I want an Ubuntu phone so bad I cannot stand it. It seems impossible to
> find any information about it and US carriers seem completely ignored.

US carriers are the inhibitors, as is the case for many other cell phones
and phone innovations. Remember, if you're paying Verizon you're funding
the lawyers suing to remove your freedoms.

> I would just recommend buying the barest of bones and cheapest android
> phone you can use for work and put as little data as possible about you
> personally on it.
>
> Why waste time and money on a work phone? Just my 2 cents.

I agree, which is one of the reasons for the limited budget. At the same
time, I want to get something that will still be useful in a year.

ciao,

der.hans

> On Dec 28, 2016 12:52 PM, "Stephen Partington" <cryptworks at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> The Samsung J7 is actually a good price point. As is the Moto G. and they
>> are popular enough to have some XDA love http://forum.xda-developers.
>> com/galaxy-j7
>>
>> On Wed, Dec 28, 2016 at 12:43 PM, der.hans <PLUGd at lufthans.com> wrote:
>>
>>> moin moin,
>>>
>>> work requires a couple of applications I refuse to install on my personal
>>> phone, so I need a secondary phone.
>>>
>>> Any recommendation considering the following?
>>>
>>> I would like to go with LineageOS[0] once it's up and running or some
>>> other
>>> 'as free as practical' Android fork.
>>>
>>> I would love a Plasma phone or maybe even an Ubuntu phone, but need to
>>> grab some proprietary apps from the Android app store, so they're not much
>>> of an option for this particular case[1].
>>>
>>> I would prefer a phone with a working FM radio.
>>>
>>> In general, I prefer Samsung hardware.
>>>
>>> Cost is a large factor for this purchase. I will likely be trying to find
>>> someting on the second hand or refurb market. I'm perfectly fine with old
>>> hardware provided I can continue getting software updates.
>>>
>>> Currently using t-mobile, but would prefer something with radios for all
>>> the carriers[2].
>>>
>>> [0] In the midst of forking from cyanogen now that it has closed down.
>>>
>>> http://lineageos.org/Yes-this-is-us/
>>>
>>> [1] There is the possibility of buying a new primary phone and making my
>>> current phone the secondary. I presume this option is more expensive than
>>> I can commit to the purchase.
>>>
>>> [2] Not that Verizon is an option for me until it stops fighting net
>>> neutrality.
>>>
>>> ciao,
>>>
>>> der.hans
>>> --
>>> #  http://www.LuftHans.com/        http://www.PhxLinux.org/
>>> #  "The important thing is not to stop questioning; curiosity has its own
>>> #  reason for existing." -- Albert Einstein
>>

>> --
>> A mouse trap, placed on top of your alarm clock, will prevent you from
>> rolling over and going back to sleep after you hit the snooze button.
>>
>> Stephen

#  http://www.LuftHans.com/        http://www.PhxLinux.org/
#  "Life is pain, Highness! Anyone who says differently is selling something."
#   -- Dread Pirate Roberts in The Princess Bride