Arch migration (success!!)

Michael Butash michael at butash.net
Tue Dec 20 13:36:09 MST 2016

How does one handle redundant disks *properly* or *officially* with EFI?

First/Last time I dealt with EFI was an asus that had 2x SSD's (factory
raid 0[!]) that I intended to raid 1 for redundancy vs. performance.  It
had no legacy boot option at all (shame, asus), so I was forced to work
with it.  I eventually got my recipe up on it with mdadm, crypto, and lvm
with ubuntu after weeks of fiddling with it, but never really figured out a
better way to deal with efi partition.  I had setup a cronjob to rsync the
efi directory, never really tested the actual failure scenario and/or
recovery however before I gave up on the laptop otherwise (and job).

Maybe that is/was good enough, just wasn't sure how well the efi bios would
switch up disks like that, as something at the time made me believe it
wouldn't.  I've read efi is somewhat fakeraid aware, perhaps that's an
option since mdadm works with fakeraids too...

Surely I'm not the only one to do redundant disks in desktops, but do seem
to be one of an odd few.

-mb