H1B Visa

Keith Smith techlists at phpcoderusa.com
Sat Dec 10 09:51:44 MST 2016

I had dinner with a couple guys from a programming agency last night.
The senior owner is about 55 and the junior owner is about 35.  I'm
guessing they make exceptionally good money.  What was the mix that made
them successful?  Skills, personality, an hard work.  They both attended
college, developed some in demand skills, with a little luck and hard
work they are doing very well.

So what your telling me there is no opportunity in America.  It's over.
The good times are gone.  Our only options are

1) Welfare
2) Crime
3) Revolution

Who pays for the welfare?  There must be some opportunity. Some one is
paying taxes.  Someone is buying those $275,000 houses in the East
Valley.  Someone is buying new cars.  I see multiple new car dealerships
in the East Valley.

And I would submit we are in a revolution.  It is a war of ideology.
The one we are talking about.  You are saying there is nothing for the
young.  I am saying it takes hard work, sacrifice, and thinking outside
the box.

You sound to be 8 years older than me.

Life has not been a bed of roses for me.

I've earned my opinion.

I recall the 70's and 80's as very harsh.  High unemployment, extremely
high inflation, and extremely high interest rates. There were few
opportunities like you express, at least not where I lived.  Middle
managers were being laid off by the thousands.

I dropped out of school and upon the urging of my adoptive father I
joined the Marine Corps.  My recruiter insisted that I complete my GED,
which I did before entering active duty. Within weeks I realize going to
school would have been a better choice.  While in the USMC I attended
high school and got a real high school diploma.

When I got out I attended college while working mid-night shift as a
civilian employee of my home town police force.  Both led me to becoming
a police officer 2 years later.  I still attended college while
alternating between mid-night shift and evening shift.

While attending college and working as a police officer I joined the
Army National Guard so I could qualify to purchase an 830 sqft 2br/1ba
house.

I assumed a 12.5% mortgage.  At the time new mortgages were going for
18%.

I completed an associates degree in programming and was promoted to
sergeant. The next year I decided to attend college full time and left
the police force.  2 and a half years later I completed a BS degree and
had $16k in school loans.  By then it was 1990.

The economy was no better and I could not find a job local that would
utilize my degree.

So I ended up at the police department as a step 1 patrol officer after
leaving as a step 2 sergeant.

The economy sucked, by this time I had child support, school loans I
could not pay, and ended up going bankrupt.  I was very disillusioned
because I had just spent 10 and a half years working my butt off to
build a resume that I thought would open doors.  I never thought someone
else owed it to me to pay off my school debt.

After teaching myself dBaseII, dBaseIII, dBaseIII+, FoxBase+, Clipper
87, FoxPro Dos, FoxPro Win, and doing some contract work I finally
landed that programming job and was able to pay off my school loans
while living like a refugee.

By that time I was over 40.

Sounds like you had a better go of things.

After all it took for me to get to that point - I'm of the opinion that
one must work hard and create your own luck. We have to think outside
the box.

Somalia?  Drop a few dozen American entrepreneurs in Somalia and 10
years from now it will be a vacation destination.

Your talking government I'm talking people.  All I want or need from the
government is to create a equal starting place and to get out of my way.
  The outcome is between me and my God.

I do not buy that today is any different that it was 40 years ago.  The
difference is the people.  We grew up knowing we had to pull ourselves
up by our boot straps.

Today these kids need safe places, demand the day off to cry because
trump won, and want free school.  Oh and I'm reading at one college they
do not want to take finals.  No wonder they cannot find a job.

When I was in the USMC we had safe places - it was called a parameter.
We would create a ring around our location with men who had automatic
weapons who stood on that wall ready to do whatever it took to keep the
enemy out.

As a police officer we create safe places as well with women and men who
were ready to do what it took to protect the citizen population.

I think there are some millennials that are making the ultimate
sacrifice for our country and for the world while serving in the U.S.
military. Some are becoming police officers. Others are creating
businesses.  These are the ones who get it.

The ones you describe need a couple years in the USMC to learn a harsh
reality that it takes hard work and sacrifice. Don't come looking to tax
me because I've earned what I make.

When I was going to college, a friend of mine told me one morning his
father woke him up and told him he had to go get his own.  The father
said he has gotten his own and now it was time for his son to get his
own.  The father worked for IBM and they were very well off.  That was
good fathering.

We are not in the great depression.  Don't like your position then at
least try to do something about it.

On 2016-12-09 14:48, Steve Litt wrote:
> On Fri, 09 Dec 2016 09:15:22 -0700
> Keith Smith <techlists at phpcoderusa.com> wrote:
>
>> What I am hearing Steve, is every job should pay a living wage.  Am I
>> correct?
>
> Yes.
>

>> I'm old and grey.  I worked a few part-time, minimum wage jobs, when
>> I was in high school and while attending college at a point in my
>> youth when I was trying to find my myself.  I never thought of those
>> jobs as a job I would work at long term or after getting a little
>> older.
>
> I don't know how old or gray you are, but I graduated high school in
> 1967. Back then, you could spend 1 or 2 days knocking on doors and come
> up with a minimum wage job. If you knocked on doors in Factory Row (my
> local one was Howard Street in Skokie), you'd come up with about 33%
> above minimum wage. And in those days, 40 hours of minimum wage could
> finance a cheap apartment and cheap food if you didn't have a car, and
> minimum wage jobs back then didn't assume you had a car. Career
> navigation was easy back then.
>

>> I've always thought, with rare exception that minimum wage jobs are
>> starter jobs.
>
> That's how it *was* when I was lucky enough to grow up. College grad or
> not, you had multiple ways to build a career sufficient to frugally
> raise a family. That situation is gone, gone gone. Today, minimum wage
> jobs are the only alternative for many people.
>
>> AND I have always thought that one needs to feel the
>> pain to better themselves.
>
> That's absolutely true. But above a certain threshold, that pain
> changes from a stimulant to a retardant. When you have to take four
> busses to buy one bag of groceries (can't carry more on the bus),
> you're just not going to be as good an employee. I use the grocery
> shopping by bus as one example: There are many. When you become too
> poor, making it to the next day burns up all the time and mindshare you
> could have used to improve yourself.
>
>> I know this might seem a little harsh, however I think if someone
>> finds them self in a minimum wage job at 30 or older, without a plan
>> to progress, then they have no one to blame but them self.
>
> That's just Boomer Bullshit. This ain't the summer of love. In the
> modern economy, a young person is lucky to make any money at all. If
> the young person has no family safety net, he/she's lucky to have a
> roof over his/her head. The career navigability we had at their age is
> gone. For all too many people today, survival is a challenge. If you
> could put them in a time machine and send them back to 1965-1972,
> they'd prosper. Probably outcompete us.
>

>> Again, I
>> know there is exceptions.  So lets say my prior statements apply to
>> non-students, retirees, and about 80% of what is left. That leaves
>> some room for the exceptions.
>
> It's much, much more universal than that. When I started working, if
> [...]

Keith Smith