Sec. 1706 of the Tax Code

David Schwartz newsletters at thetoolwiz.com
Thu Dec 8 09:05:28 MST 2016

You’re assessment is not quite accurate.

What 1706 does is make the risk of hiring independent contractors unreaonably high, so they prefer to offset that risk onto 3rd-parties.

I’ve been with firms that refuse to hire contractors who are LLCs like you describe as well, because they’re really no better from a risk standpoint than hiring sole proprietors, and in some ways they’re even worse. (A company can win a lawsuit and judgment against an LLC, and end up getting a “charging order” for the LLC that puts them at risk for paying current-year taxes on their ostensible “income” earned by the LLC while the LLC owner(s) can literally take years to distribute anything to them.)

I think a far better solution would be to for a group of people to get together and become shareholders and employees in a normal C Corp (“employee-owned and operated”!), then use that entity to contract with clients. One benefit of this is that it could set up typical Group benefits plans for insurance and retirement needs.

This is what many enterprising foreigners have done as a means of funneling folks from their home towns over here to America under the H-1B visa program. They end up taking the lion’s share of the fees charged and only pay their employees a pittance. But the employees are getting quite a bargain in the process, namely permanent employment for 7-10 years, and ultimately a green card.

The motivations and resulting dynamics for a bunch of US Citizens to do this aren’t nearly as well-defined, and the people involved would be far more likely to act like a herd of cats with their own interests and demands.

Which is probably why we see very few such entities compared with those owned by foreigners.

-David "The Tool Wiz" Schwartz