Sec. 1706 of the Tax Code

Keith Smith techlists at phpcoderusa.com
Thu Dec 8 08:28:29 MST 2016

Sounds like one needs to be an employee of their own LLC to solve the
negative aspects of Sec. 1706.

 From https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tax_Reform_Act_of_1986

Tax treatment of technical service firms employing certain professionals

The Internal Revenue Code does not contain any definition or rules
dealing with the issue of when a worker should be characterized for tax
purposes as an employee, rather than as an independent contractor. The
tax treatment depends on the application of (20) factors provided by
common law, which varies by state.

Introduced by Senator Daniel Patrick Moynihan, Section 1706 added a
subsection (d) to Section 530 of the Revenue Act of 1978, which removed
"safe harbor" exception for independent contractor classification (which
at the time avoided payroll taxes) for workers such as engineers,
designers, drafters, computer professionals, and "similarly skilled"
workers.

If the IRS determines that a third-party intermediary firm's worker
previously treated as self-employed should have been classified as an
employee, the IRS assesses substantial back taxes, penalties and
interest on that third-party intermediary company, though not directly
against the worker or the end client.[9] It does not apply to
individuals directly contracted to clients.[10]

The change in the tax code was expected to offset tax revenue losses of
other legislation Moynihan proposed that changed the law on foreign
taxes of Americans working abroad.[11] At least one firm simply adapted
its business model to the new regulations.[12] A 1991 Treasury
Department study found that tax compliance for technology professionals
was among the highest of all self-employed workers and that Section 1706
would raise no additional tax revenue and could possibly result in
losses as self-employed workers did not receive as many tax-free
benefits as employees.[13]

In one report in 2010, Moynihan's initiative was labeled "a favor to
IBM."[14] A suicide note by software professional Joseph Stack, who flew
his airplane into a building housing IRS offices in February 2010,
blamed his problems on many factors, including the Section 1706 change
in the tax law while even mentioning Senator Moynihan by name, though no
intermediary firm is mentioned, and failure to file a return was
admitted.[15]

- - -

Keith

--