Alternative FS OS Installs (btrfs, zfs)

Michael Butash mike at butash.net
Sun Dec 4 14:38:19 MST 2016

Interesting notes on this, more ways ubuntu tends to keep fscking with
me, though seems more systemic too.

So I have noted ubuntu and arch both have "how-to" guides to booting
zfs, so word up, lets do it, my neon system keeps getting worse.  Nope.

Ubuntu apparently doesn't know how to recognize my NVMe drives still to
enumerate them via /dev/disk/by-* in their 4.4.* kernel, and forcing it
up to 4.8.12 kernel doesn't help either.  Which coincidentally most
things like zfs tend to sanity-check against with moving hardware
devices and relying on uuid symlinks.  Bad assumption by ZFS.

This is a udev thing, adding rules should work, done this before, this
problem has existed since 2015.  Nope.

Two days later, I can't seem to figure out how to trick ubuntu udev into
actually making the damn nvme drives enumerate with udev enough to
appear.  Tried adding udev rules approved myself everywhere, rebaking
initrd images with rules, they just refuse to work.

Finally tried arch's iso and hacking around the default iso to add
arch-zfs libs/repos to even build the pool there natively, and they
won't install zfs kernel libs compatible with the iso initrd.  Great.

The joys of new hardware and laggard distros.  I think it would work if
I could just build the damn zpools and make udev notice they were
there.  Argh!

I'm starting to read up on btrfs, apparently the NVMe drives on Linux
are broken enough to mess with every distro.  Hopefully btrfs doesn't
have the same broken assumptions of udev.

-mb