Alternative FS OS Installs (btrfs, zfs)

Michael Butash mike at butash.net
Sat Dec 3 12:22:46 MST 2016

Anyone using "alternative" file system methods like btrfs or zfs to boot
with?  Nothing seems too native, but can be made to work it seems, just
wondering if this is one of those "should do" vs. "can do".

The notion of something that can do raid, encryption, volume management,
and snapshot features is attractive, but I've always layered mdraid,
luks encryption, lvm, then ext atop that.  This has been pretty solid
when the ssd's don't die 3-6 months later, even with aligning partition
to block boundaries and such, trim, etc.  I'd love to have one single
encrypted partitions I can use volumes within for the os mounts, btrfs
and zfs in theory do most of this now.

How well is really the question...

Commentary appreciated!

-mb