fonting the universe

der.hans PLUGd at LuftHans.com
Sat Dec 3 11:20:53 MST 2016

Am 03. Dec, 2016 schwätzte Stephen Partington so:

> Google fonts

Domo arigato for fonts roboto.

Never heard of them. Not a surprise that they exist as Google likes tech
that gives people a common experience on the web and has lots of projects
to make that happen.

In my original post I pointed out that it's awesome that distributions
support so many options. It's also awesome that some people take fonts
seriously so the rest of us don't have to. A couple of times I've
scratched the surface as to what it takes to make a font and was impressed
by the work that goes into making functional fonts.

There are also the great designers who put a lot of effort into choosing
just the right font for something. I'm obviously not one of those :).

Interesting, the Google fonts packages don't get along.

###
  fonts-roboto-hinted : Conflicts: fonts-roboto-unhinted but 2:0~20160106-1
is to be installed
  fonts-roboto-unhinted : Conflicts: fonts-roboto-hinted but 2:0~20160106-1
is to be installed
                          Conflicts: fonts-roboto-hinted:i386
###

Hinted it is. Wonder when they'll make a "I'm Feeling Lucky" font package
that automagically determines which font is best. Hmm, bet that have that
for android... :)

ciao,

der.hans

> On Dec 3, 2016 10:13 AM, "der.hans" <PLUGd at lufthans.com> wrote:
>
>> moin moin,
>>
>> I'm at my once a decade point of caring about fonts.
>>
>> It's awesome that distributions support so many languages, but Urdu,
>> Klingon and Thai having legible fonts are not going to help me read them.
>>
>> fonts-gfs-complutum - ancient Greek font revival from the University of
>> Alcalá, Spain
>>
>> That's cool and useful for a friend, but it's been a while since I've
>> spoken any Greek aside from Opa[0].
>>
>> So, aside from grepping out 50 languages, how do I determine which debian
>> packages I should install to get all the cool fonts that will enrich my
>> digital culteral experience?
>>
>> I might be asking the same thing about CentOS and Fedora next week, so
>> rpm-based answers also welcome.
>>
>> I am mostly concerned about xterm, konsole, GIMP and LibreOffice. In that
>> order.
>>
>> [0] Leaving aside the many English words derived from ancient Greek, etc.
>>
>> ciao,
>>
>> der.hans
>> --
>> #  http://www.LuftHans.com/        http://www.PhxLinux.org/
>> #  The Internet is the front line of the battle
>> #  to protect our freedom. -- Nathaniel Borenstein

#  http://www.LuftHans.com/        http://www.PhxLinux.org/
#  "If I want my children to work hard, I better be the hardest working
#  person they've ever met. If I want the children to be nice, I better
#  be the kindest human being they've ever met." -- Rafe Esquith