An Internet Giveaway to the U.N.

Keith Smith techlists at phpcoderusa.com
Tue Aug 30 20:19:29 MST 2016

What you described is why giving the Internet away is a bad idea.  Right
now the Internet is stable.  If you have countries and businesses
fighting over things, my fear is you and I will suffer.

In it purist form we are all stake holders and each one of us benefit
from what we know as the Internet.  If we start having wars over
control, that could mean a melt down in the short term and in a perfect
world the creation of another Internet for the U.S.A. so our economy can
live.

Have you given any thought of what it was like before the P.C, Internet,
and cellular?  I'll bet there are people on this list that know no other
world than what we have today.

I was in my mid twenties when I first saw a P.C. It was an IBM with an
8088 or 8086 CPU, about 256k RAM, one or two 160K floppies, and a 14
inch monochrome monitor, and it cost about $3000.  To put that in
perspective I made $13000 in 1981.

We had pay phones.  A call cost a nickel, then a dime, and finally a
quarter.  When these coins were actually worth something.

It would take 3 or 4 people to pick your order and complete an invoice
in a warehouse.

That was 35 years ago.

If we lose the Internet we will have to regress 35 years while having
some really powerful technology that is worth much less than it is
connected to the Internet.

Why would anyone want to mess with something so valuable and something
our economy depends on?  We cannot unravel 20 - 35 years of changes in
the blink of an eye.

Maybe you do not believe our economy is so fragile, however it is.
Especially today.

On 2016-08-30 13:31, James Dugger wrote:
> I don't agree that names are not important.  They aren't relative to
> computers but our human society and economics literally runs on name
> recognition in one way or another.  Working for the largest registrant
> in the world  I can tell you that name recognition is everything in
> the internet.  I recently heard 2 domain name experts estimate that
> the name LA.COM [2] is worth between 10 and 15 million dollars.  The
> top 10% of the corporate world have spent 100's of billions over the
> past 25 years to secure their trademarked names in the domain space.
> Those companies alone have more money and more control in most of the
> economic world than many of the countries that would want to sensor.
> And many of them operate inside of these countries.  Piss off Walmart
> too much in China and China can loses hundreds of millions in tax
> revenue.
>
> Also ICANN is only one element of the internet. You cannot discount
> infrastructure owners those like AT&T and Comcast that actually own
> most of the fiber, and Verizon, AT&T and Sprint etc that have the
> rights to most of the radio frequency bandwidth.  These players are
> not going to just lay down and accept less money because someone else
> can mucker with naming authority.
>
> What about registrants and DNS resolution companies such as Go Daddy
> and VeriSign and the rest. They aren't going to lay down and let
> someone pull more money out of there purse strings trying to regulate
> and make them irrelevant.
>
> For the reasons above I believe that whoever ends up with control of
> ICANN will have several very large gorillas to deal with.
>
> On Tue, Aug 30, 2016 at 7:32 AM, Eric Oyen <eric.oyen at icloud.com>
> wrote:
>
>> well, so long as you have IP addresses, names are not that
>> important. That is the key right there. since ICANN deals mostly
>> with assigned names, it should be easy to work around.
>>
>> now, this may be a tauter simplistic view of the problem and
>> solution, but then, it's the simplest solutions that often work
>> best.
>>
>> Mind you, I am not an expert on the net generally or its
>> infrastructure in particular (no one is). My specialty involves
>> security and that is where I am good at things. everything else
>> would require additional study for me (and at my age, there just
>> wouldn't be enough time to learn it all and still keep up with all
>> the changing tech).
>>
>> So, your question, as stated, seems like a paradox. In some ways,
>> it is, but in others, there is simply no issue.
>>
>> -eric
>>
>> On Aug 29, 2016, at 10:24 AM, Keith Smith wrote:
>>

>>> How can we circumvent the current system and use the current
>> infrastructure?

>> don't
>> have very
>> in the
> [...]