An Internet Giveaway to the U.N.

James Dugger james.dugger at gmail.com
Tue Aug 30 13:31:14 MST 2016

I don't agree that names are not important.  They aren't relative to
computers but our human society and economics literally runs on name
recognition in one way or another.  Working for the largest registrant in
the world  I can tell you that name recognition is everything in the
internet.  I recently heard 2 domain name experts estimate that the name
LA.COM is worth between 10 and 15 million dollars.  The top 10% of the
corporate world have spent 100's of billions over the past 25 years to
secure their trademarked names in the domain space.  Those companies alone
have more money and more control in most of the economic world than many of
the countries that would want to sensor. And many of them operate inside of
these countries.  Piss off Walmart too much in China and China can loses
hundreds of millions in tax revenue.

Also ICANN is only one element of the internet. You cannot discount
infrastructure owners those like AT&T and Comcast that actually own most of
the fiber, and Verizon, AT&T and Sprint etc that have the rights to most of
the radio frequency bandwidth.  These players are not going to just lay
down and accept less money because someone else can mucker with naming
authority.

What about registrants and DNS resolution companies such as Go Daddy and
VeriSign and the rest. They aren't going to lay down and let someone pull
more money out of there purse strings trying to regulate and make them
irrelevant.

For the reasons above I believe that whoever ends up with control of ICANN
will have several very large gorillas to deal with.

James

*Linkedin <http://www.linkedin.com/pub/james-h-dugger/15/64b/74a/>*