An Internet Giveaway to the U.N.

Keith Smith techlists at phpcoderusa.com
Mon Aug 29 07:01:41 MST 2016

David,

I had no intention of making this a political discussion.  That will do
none of us any good.  It will lead to a long multi-person rant with
little discussion of the subject matter.

My concern is what might happen.  We will not know until it happens.
There is a lot riding on this.  The U.S. economy could be impacted in an
extreme way.

I would guess a lot of the people on this list have a job, at least in
part, because of the Internet.  This is serious.

Lets move past the politics and onto the merit of allowing the Internet
to be controlled by an organization that is not accountable to anyone.
No elected officials, just heads of state.

Giving the Internet control to the U.N. appears to be a very bad move
that will throw more uncertainty into the market place.

My livelihood is on the line here, so yes this move concerns me.

Keith

On 2016-08-28 21:06, David Schwartz wrote:
> It seems like pretty much everything in America started with the
> election of one Barack Hussain Obama in 2008.
>
> I guess the world will end when he steps down next January, eh?
>
> -David Schwartz
>
>> On Aug 28, 2016, at 6:58 PM, Keith Smith <techlists at phpcoderusa.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>> The article states in part "Without the U.S. contract, Icann would
>> seek to be overseen by another governmental group so as to keep its
>> antitrust exemption. Authoritarian regimes have already proposed
>> Icann become part of the U.N. to make it easier for them to censor
>> the internet globally. So much for the Obama pledge that the U.S.
>> would never be replaced by a “government-led or an
>> inter-governmental organization solution.”".
>>
>> This could be really bad.
>>
>> What is the solution?
>>
>> Keith

> Links:
> ------
> [1]
> https://u2206659.ct.sendgrid.net/wf/click?upn=5DvWGaZUY8Sh5aRLWfQTKYiRLVzunonVk948p8WIzMe-2FXlJ9Cta8w8U9xoku9LrUSHNMJbSd3ZEwH-2BqnW2UHlA-3D-3D_6lpMB7VLnN-2Fj9-2FEErg8-2F-2BMBpb5QxlByTgv2M3fbWD9ebvC-2BWrN3h7jImK8EVWYBe3k7bucXKwtQLNvyHIy2SwsdKRiqh5JQ0kaAE-2FMloul3ORxTz9XuykcchWyriPAntZokWckir-2BQyL48zlARj2jv69JtRLElzU5tqJl3pcNgEabel4uL1asXyFjMxZcS3PhKagC9KFbMFHLuwoNyQKS2SfScURLjnOwfo09esgxrU-3D

Keith Smith