An Internet Giveaway to the U.N.

trent shipley trent.shipley at gmail.com
Mon Aug 29 00:50:04 MST 2016

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2016/mar/14/icann-internet-control-domain-names-iana
http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-37114313

And for those who don't trust liberals:
http://www.hoover.org/research/tricky-issue-severing-us-control-over-icann

Basically the US had to turn it over, or there would be a rebellion, and
the US controlled ICANN would be forked, and made irrelevant.

It appears that the post-American ICANN will mostly be run the same way
that standards for the web itself (W3), ethernet, and USB work. ICANN will
mostly be run by a consortium of big companies, and to a lesser extent
governments. Some governments will favor easy to censor internets, and some
will favor open internets, and almost all will want easy to monitor
internets, and the companies won't care what happens. I think we will see
flexible solutions so that constituencies can optimize solutions for their
own needs, while still maintaining a lot interoperability at the edges of
subnets.

Organized and coordinated internet Balkanization.

Trent