MacBook

Steve Litt slitt at troubleshooters.com
Wed Aug 24 21:29:42 MST 2016

On Wed, 24 Aug 2016 20:22:09 -0700
Eric Oyen <eric.oyen at icloud.com> wrote:

> who was screaming that the post was irrelevant? I certainly wasn't. :)
>
> At the end of the day, Linux still needs a lot of work to be
> considered to be a viable desktop production environment.
>
> can you get quicken for linux? what about Peachtree? How about a full
> office suite that can do the same things that MS office can do? what
> about some of the other mainstream office and production apps? are
> there many equivalents or direct replacements? THis is the primary
> problem I have seen with linux over the years. great OS support, but
> lousy where it counts.

So I assume you're here only for the server aspects of Linux.

Anyway, a lot of small businesses don't require the use of Peachtree or
Quicken. Heck, I go to the accountant every year and make it his
problem. I can track book sales in a simple database. Some things I
track in Gnumeric: You'd be surprised how you can write Python programs
to make info in Gnumeric spreadsheets come alive.

Office suites? Libre's good enough to write a business letter, and if
you're writing anything longer, neither Libre nor MSWord nor anything
of that classification is what you need. I can tell you that first
hand: I write and sell books. I happen to use LyX, but I think there
are better tools and will soon switch (or perhaps make my own tool).

I can see where people who can't write a Python program or use a few
power-user tricks wouldn't be able to do business activities on a Linux
desktop, but who here fits that description?

SteveT

Steve Litt
August 2016 featured book: Manager's Guide to Technical Troubleshooting
  Brand new, second edition
http://www.troubleshooters.com/mgr