The Desktop is right again!

Michael Butash michael at butash.net
Wed Apr 20 10:35:33 MST 2016

Funny you mention this - been struggling with KDE4 and 3x monitors when
NOT using the binary drivers of late.  I really liked KDE, using that
predominantly for the past few years on 5-6 montiors just dandy, but
with amd drivers setting up the screens that worked mostly ok.

I moved to 3x 4k displays, got rid of amd binary drivers for radeon/mesa
drivers that were much better (amd binary drivers were terrible @4k),
except it seems a 5 year old bug stilll affects KDE's screen
setup/placement.  This was never fixed until kde5, and using xrandr
manually with a script isn't entirely reliable, forcing me to restart
lightdm after it glitches the driver about 1 in 3 times.  YaY, began
looking at other desktops to defect, yet again for more ancient bugs no
one sees fit to fix.

TDE looks interesting, but being based on 3.x I wonder, as I hated KDE
back then.  Does it do compositing at all?  My pref was always disabling
compositing, but with radeon drivers that work sanely, I'm actually
liking kde4 now with kwin/plasma.

I was looking yesterday at getting KDE5.x on this thing, and of course
there isn't a version for 14.04.  Upgrading is always significantly
painful with Ubuntu since 11.04, so moving to 15.0x isn't an attractive
option, and 16.04 seemed as big a basketcase as I had tried it recently
on my htpc (*still* can't get intel sound to work by default!? really?).

I might go back and try Cinnamon/Mate, compositing driver bugs with amd
had made every desktop batsh!t crazy I've found, maybe even (gasp!)
unity.  My experiences might be different without crappy video drivers
for all their rampant compositing.

Thanks for sharing!

-mb