To Tux or not to Tux

Brian Cluff brian at snaptek.com
Tue Apr 19 15:58:20 MST 2016

I'm a big fan of running a hybid environment exactly the way you
describe.  It lets you have you cake and eat it too, and will work for
95% of everyone out there.

Additionally to what you described I would, at minimum, setup his home
directory as a shared directory onto the Linux side of the setup, then
once you have everything on the windows side setup exactly the way you
like it take a snapshot of the way things are and have him run off the
snapshot.  Then when things get really nasty you can discard the
infected snapshot and then immediatly take a new snapshot of everything
in pristine condition, saving you hours of work.

You might also want to consider not setting up a network on the windows
VM unless it's strictly needed.  That will prevent the VM from being
used for the everyday tasks when he should be using the Linux part of
the computer.  Maybe setup a firewall so that the machine can only go to
certain places if the network is used.

Lastly, and most secure, if you can get away with it, you can set the
VM's hard drive as immutable.  That setting will take a snapshot of the
VM every time it starts, but on exit the snapshot will be thrown away
along with any changes/infections.  That will leave you with a pristine
system every single time and the system will stay clean and work
perfectly forever.  This only works if the software doesn't require
regular changes to it's config.  If you would like to do this in virtual
box, the GUI does not yet allow you to set a VM drive as immutable, so
you will have to use the vboxmanage tool to accomplish the setting.

Of course none of this will fly at all unless this person is completely
willing to deal with the differences and learning curve. Unless they
completely buy into it, I wouldn't waste my time... an answer of "I
guess I'll try it" or anything wishy washy like that will just end up
with you having to reinstall the machine to windows.  You need an answer
of something like "I'm willing to do whatever it takes to make my
computer run smoothly all the time."

PS, if one of his pieces of software that he can't live without is
quickbooks, keep in mind that you can't store it's config/database on a
network share, which is what the shared folders on Virtualbox look like
like to windows.   For Quickbooks, just create a second Virtual Hard
drive for the system who's only reason for existing is to hold the
quickbooks database.... just make sure you don't set it to immutable :)

Brian Cluff