OT: WordPress Approach to Responsive Theming

Keith Smith techlists at phpcoderusa.com
Sun Apr 10 19:43:15 MST 2016

Hi James,

All great suggestions and have done all of them.  What I am trying to
figure out is what is the accepted way to make a theme responsive.  Is
there a favorite framework such as Foundation or BootStrap... etc in the
WordPress community.

I was pleasantly surprised to discover WordPress now has several
handbooks.  https://developer.wordpress.org/themes/getting-started/  No
mention of making a theme responsive.  Lots of info out there just not
anything that leads me to understand the "WordPress Way" of making a
theme responsive.

Thank you so much for your help!!

Keith

On 2016-04-10 19:26, James Dugger wrote:
> Keith,
>
> First I am not a WordPress guru, but WordPress themes live as
> sub-directories in wp-content/themes/ (see
> https://codex.wordpress.org/Theme_Development [2]) I would start here
> and read this page.  It will give you an overview of the the structure
> of theming in WordPress.  Pay particular attention the comment blocks
> in the stylesheets (on the guid above) The comment blocks are read by
> WordPress to similar to (for themes) how Drupal uses the .info file.
>
> Also look into the use of function.php files.  This is how you add
> behaviors to a WordPress site.  In it is were you declare predefined
> WordPress hooks (and for plugins) new hooks you have added to the
> site.  WordPress is a giant event loop (not unlike Drupal)  In fact
> WordPress core developers call it "The Loop"  so search the net for
> that term in context to your WordPress questions, this may help.
>
> Also the codex  - https://codex.wordpress.org/ [3]  is similar to
> api.drupal.org [4]  it is were you learn how the php is structured in
> WordPress.
>
> On Sun, Apr 10, 2016 at 8:43 AM, Keith Smith
> <techlists at phpcoderusa.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Any WordPress theming Gurus out there? I've been trying to
>> determine the "WordPress Way" of responsive theming. Is it a
>> framework? Is it home gown within WordPress? What is the WordPress
>> Way?
>>
>> Thanks in advance for your insight!!
>>
>> --
>> Keith Smith