rsync

Michael Havens bmike1 at gmail.com
Thu Sep 24 06:12:42 MST 2015

Thanks for sharing with me about --delete-before. In my subsequent
investigation into it's use I found the manpage says that using that option
disables 'incremental recursion'. What is 'incremental recurssion'? I
assume that I will still be able to backup lower level directories.

              Some options require rsync to know the full file list, so
 these
              options  disable the incremental recursion mode.  These
include:
              --delete-before,   --delete-after,    --prune-empty-dirs,
 and
              --delay-updates.   Because of this, the default delete mode
when
              you specify --delete is now --delete-during when  both  ends
 of
              the  connection are at least 3.0.0 (use --del or
--delete-during
              to request this improved deletion mode  explicitly).   See
 also
              the  --delete-delay  option  that  is a better choice than
using
              --delete-after.

On Wed, Sep 23, 2015 at 10:11 PM, James Crawford <jrefl5 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Mike,
>     you can have rsync do the deletes prior to copying files over
>         --delete-before         receiver deletes before xfer, not during
>     You can also delete the excluded files if you use some form of the
> exclude command,
>         --delete-excluded       also delete excluded files from dest dirs
>
> James C.