cheap ISP for low-bandwidth use?

Ted Gould ted at gould.cx
Wed Oct 28 21:17:53 MST 2015

On Tue, 2015-10-27 at 23:14 -0700, Michael Butash wrote:
> Wonder why they turned off analog channels?  Besides, who really uses
> 1gbe speeds aside from a service provider or having 10 kids all using
> netflix at the same time watching at 4k res?
Your comment is based on thinking about how you use the Internet today.
I think that a better question might be: how would my view of network
based services change if I had a 1Gbps link to the Internet? I for one,
will probably get rid of my NAS. It's great for backing things up on
the local network, and it's a pain to use network services today. But
if I had a 1Gbps link I think it'd be better to just mount s3 on my
machines directly. Certainly there's still some pain points there, but
it's easy to imagine lot of usage when you start to break down the
"bottleneck" that your Internet connection is today.
Ted