Void Linux tips

Steve Litt slitt at troubleshooters.com
Wed Oct 21 15:47:50 MST 2015

On Wed, 21 Oct 2015 14:36:57 -0700
Matt Graham <mhgraham at crow202.org> wrote:

> On 2015-10-21 12:05, Steve Litt wrote:
> > I recently switched over to Void Linux, a KISS principle distro much
> > closer to Slack than to Ubuntu, but with an oustanding, full
> > dependency handling package manager. So far, I really like it.
> > I've put together a bunch of tips for installing and using Void, so
> > that the next guy has an easier time than I did:
> > http://troubleshooters.com/linux/void/voidtips.htm
>
> Interesting.  I guess this could be another alternative to the
> creeping "systemd is everywhere" thing.

Yes. For those who prioritize keeping systemd off their machine, Void
is one of the few distros (along with Funtoo and Devuan and maybe
Slackware) who have stated unequivocally that they won't use systemd as
PID1 in the future. I've even heard various people in talking about
bringing systemd or a systemd like thing into FreeBSD.

It's also a nice place for people who don't like sysvinit. Every
program that could be used as a daemon installs a runit directory,
under /etc/sv, containing a tiny conf script (usually about 4 lines) and
a tiny run script (usually about 4 to 8 lines). Symlink that directory
to a same-named directory within /run/runit/runsvdir/current/ and the
daemon starts, and you're able to manage it with the sv command.

SteveT

Steve Litt
October 2015 featured book: Thriving in Tough Times
http://www.troubleshooters.com/thrive