ups

Keith Smith techlists at phpcoderusa.com
Sun Oct 11 21:32:02 MST 2015

I've been using isobar since about 1993.  I believe that is why I have
not had any equipment failure.  13 or 14 years ago the transformer
attached to where I was living exploded.  I was sure it cooked my
computer.  Nothing happened to my computer.

http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=isobar&tag=googhydr-20&index=aps&hvadid=84109345576&hvpos=1t1&hvexid=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=6200554956233029823&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=b&hvdev=c&ref=pd_sl_2hv0pgf2to_b_p2

Of course it is not going to keep your computer running when the power
goes out.

On 2015-10-11 16:11, Steve Litt wrote:
> On Sun, 11 Oct 2015 13:39:53 -0400
> Michael Havens <bmike1 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I finally broke down and bought a UPS:( I got a 650 VA for $57. The
>> 550 VA was $55 so I figured it was worth the 2 extra dollars. Now I
>> don't have to worry about frying my computer during one of the many
>> lightening storms here in gainesville!
>>

> That's a great price!
>
> The benefit of a UPS isn't preventing frying in a lightning storm. A
> simple surge protector does a better job of that. A UPS prevents your
> computer frying during a brownout or severel rapid transitions between
> power and no power. It also gives you a reasonable timeframe to perform
> an orderly shutdown, and in cases of > 1minute power outages, which
> describes over half of our power outages here in Seminole County
> Florida, you just keep computing.
>
> Another great thing about a UPS is when your printer starts up and all
> the lights dim and your ceiling fan slows down,  (Brother MFC8810dw
> prints suck *a lot* of current), you hear your UPS click, but otherwise
> there's no sign of the undervolt. I hate to thing what would happen to
> my box if I didn't have a UPS.
>
> I wouldn't be caught dead without a UPS on my daily driver or my
> whole-house pfSense router/firewall.
>
> SteveT
>
> Steve Litt
> October 2015 featured book: Thriving in Tough Times
> http://www.troubleshooters.com/thrive

Keith Smith