ups

kitepilot at kitepilot.com kitepilot at kitepilot.com
Sun Oct 11 20:38:56 MST 2015

One of the (many reasons) why convection is so pervasive in Florida, is
because of the 'Florida Ridge'.

Yes, there is a 'virtual ridge' in the middle of the peninsula, and if you
know what you are looking for, you can easily hitch a ride in a glider from
the Everglades to Valdosta in South Georgia.

The phenomenon is produced by the 'Sea breeze':
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sea_breeze,
which occurs in both coasts at the same time.  The air flows inland in the
morning and both currents clash midway in, and have no other choice but go
up, which produces a wave similar to the effect of a ridge facing the wind,
which in turn creates a wave that you can 'surf' with the glider like the
condors do.

The thunderstorm happens (like anywhere else) when the convection lifts the
moisture, which turns into water vapor as it cools off in the climb.  When
turning into water, the water vapor releases its 'latent heat' (the heat
that turned into vapor at the first place), which increases the speed of the
updraft (another free ride upwards in a glider), which draws in more
moisture, which releases more heat, and ultimately creates a runaway effect
that, given enough moisture, will overdevelop on a super-cell and spawn all
sort of nasty weather (including tornadoes)

Just tidbits of knowledge that make me giggle...   :)
ET