router questions

Michael Butash michael at butash.net
Sun Nov 8 13:34:41 MST 2015

Not in the modem, but likely in the router (the layer 3 ip router/nat
here) itself to enable shaping to your given committed bandwidth rate
(assuming it's stabe bw, this is dsl we're talking).

Most people don't ever do (or understand why), but shaping is pretty
important when dealing with things like 40mbps rates on a gigabit
interface.  Ethernet phy buffers presume your bandwidth == phy, ie.
1gbps, but obviously your cable/dsl isn't quite yet. That's when their
policers kick in, dropping your traffic when you send over the cir,
knocking your bandwidth back so tcp will scale down (udp doesn't, why
queuing is needed for voip).  If you shape the outbound to a given rate,
ie. your 40mbps cir or whatever, then they never penalize you, and you
get far more consistent bandwidth throughput rates.

Example - My cir with cox was 50mb, their "burst" was 60mbps.  If I
tried to push 70, they'd penalize me, drop my cir down, protocols have
to window down, bw drops to 30, starts working back up to 60, then 70,
rinse/repeat.  My bandwidth tests would look like repeating steps and
drop-off's.

Shaping plus the txqueuelen took all jerkiness out of my bandwidth
tests, and just pegs at the cox "burst" rate now constantly without
drop-offs.

Look at tuning your txqueuelen on the box too, setting it much lower.  I
set mine to 32 on my ddwrt box.  This way small packets don't stay in
buffer waiting to fill long,  Suggest the same with host system
txqueuelen too, especially if gaming and such.

Search the tubes for "buffer bloat linux networking" for more details.

-mb