OT? Are they really teaching this?

parabellum7 at yahoo.com parabellum7 at yahoo.com
Wed May 27 16:47:22 MST 2015

Thanks James, Michael and Anthony, I like your perspectives. Anthony, I see your point about the instructor versus the institution. As always, the conversation here is as open as the technology we discuss. :)

<gripe>

I got some instructor-based attitude for asking questions in a CompTIA Network+ prep course. (a Gale Courses program offered through the Maricopa County Library). Apparently the deployment of multiple Wi-Fi AP's isn't on the test so my inquiry was deemed off-topic. So was wanting to know if anything open source is on the test. He sniped 'this isn't a Cisco test'.

Thank you captain obvious! How could anyone know what's on the test if they haven't taken it yet, hence the enrollment in a prep class? CompTIA states it's non-vendor specific, so asking if there's open source questions is hardly off topic. Would our heads explode if we briefly touched on a little extra?

I find it interesting that some instructors think providing good customer service does not apply to them. I won't take it personally as he's terse with everyone and a fine example of how not to communicate with others.

</gripe>

I've been working freelance for years in several technologies and never had a client ask me about certs. Fix things right, answer questions well, be fair and honest. They're happy and call you back.

For me it's all about learning. I usually do that ad-hoc with a few classes to fill in the gaps. I can vouch for David Iseminger's network classes through the county library. He's the kind of instructor you wish you always got.

--Kenn