OT? Are they really teaching this?

Anthony Radzykewycz anthony.radzykewycz at gatewaycc.edu
Tue May 26 08:13:07 MST 2015

I would say that there are very biased instructors within the academic
world. I, for one, teach the Linux courses at GateWay Community College and
place a strong emphasis on what it is that they are learning and showing
them that they will see open source in a multitude of areas - even areas
they imagined it to be non-existent. I've had plenty of debates with my
colleagues (in academia and IT) regarding open source and utilizations of
Linux distros. Really, I feel it boils down to what you are doing and the
familiarity of the staff. I would never say that open source and Linux are
a waste of time... Then again, I suppose you are right when you mention
that you are preaching to the choir. To further my statements, I would like
to encourage you to look at what you have brought up and relate it to
individuals, academic freedom in instruction, and not correlate it with the
entire institution's constitution. If someone did that based on my classes
and GWCC, they may go back to say, "GateWay is anti-Microsoft." This would
be overall an inaccurate statement. Not that I am "anti-Microsoft," but I
could see a student getting that as a takeaway - due to my strong passion
for open source technologies and Linux.

To address the CompTIA certs: I also encourage my students to go get the
CompTIA certs, if they can. One really cool thing about CompTIA's Linux+
cert is that it is a 3-for-1 cert. If you pass CompTIA's tests, you get the
CompTIA Linux+, SUSE CLA, and the LPIC-1 certs. I personally feel that
there is a lot of value in that for students just entering the field. I do
agree that CompTIA certs are low-hanging fruit, but they also give that
extra support to get you in the door (if you lack the documented
experience). It's great to go further, and I also encourage that - but I
would never call the CompTIA certs worthless to those that are entering the
field in question.