Article / Data warehouse cms software

Matt Graham mhgraham at crow202.org
Tue May 26 10:00:28 MST 2015

> On 2015-05-25 21:08, Nathan England wrote:
>> I have a project to store a lot of data. Articles, stories, and
>> encyclopedia type stuff. My first thought was to use a wiki
>> (wikimedia) as it makes the contents easily searchable, but what
>> about
>> other cms systems like wordpress?

Wordpress is generally more "centralized", as it puts the most recent
blog posts up on the main page.  Whether you'd use it or a wiki really
depends on what the users will be doing since there are things wikis do
better than wordpress.  The default wordpress search seems to work OK.
Writing internal links using wordpress is more difficult than doing that
in a wiki.

> I am not familiar with wikimedia and its maintenance requirements.
> I can say that WordPress does not require a lot of attention.

This depends greatly on the users.  Setting up a wiki and running it is
not really difficult or resource-consuming if you don't have many users
and none of them are actively trying to destroy the site.  If you have a
bunch of active users, you're going to need moderators and handle the
inevitable flame wars.  They come out with a new version of wordpress
every couple of months, and updating usually doesn't break anything or
take a lot of time.  If you have comments enabled on wordpress, you will
need to periodically get rid of the spam since there are many people out
there comment-spamming wordpress sites.

> If you are doing something very heavy duty Drupal might be a
> candidate.

I'd say "avoid drupal unless you know you need it" but that's just MHO.

--
Crow202 Blog: http://crow202.org/wordpress
There is no Darkness in Eternity