OT: the concrete jungle (was re anonymously)

Keith Smith techlists at phpcoderusa.com
Sun May 3 10:47:26 MST 2015

On 2015-05-02 12:27, joe at actionline.com wrote:
> Great story about U-Haul, Keith.
> Never heard that one before.

I'm sure there are tons of stories just like uhaul.  Not everyone
exercised integrity..... However I think there was a lot more integrity
in the 40's, 50's, and 60's than today.

> And your comments about "the good-old-days" made me remember
> how blessed I was to grow up in a little town of 3,500 back
> in the center of Nebraska in the 1950s. In so many ways, it
> was like that wonderful old Andy Griffith TV show Mayberry USA.

I'd like to retire to a place like that.  I also grew up in a small town
on the Southern border. Things were different back then.  There was no
fear of guns, the Mexican food was authentic, and muscle cars were
plentiful and cheap.

> My first job at age 7 or so was putting hand-bills on cars
> and trucks parked around the city square; and I vividly
> remember that every car and truck had the windows rolled
> down and the keys left in the ignition.

I remember that in the 60's and early 70's.

I'll bet some of the trucks had rifle racks and you might have seen a
hunting rifle or two in those rifle racks.

> My family's house did not even have locks on the doors.

Good times!!

> ---------------
>> Your concrete wall statement made me think of a time when
>> a guy rented a trailer to a person who was on the move.
>> The trailer owner had no infrastructure to manage renting
>> trailers. He had only one thing, the good will and honesty
>> of his fellow Americans.  Uhaul was built on the good will
>> and integrity of American business men. The trailer would
>> make it's way to it's destination and be dropped off at a
>> gas station, I presume with a note telling the gas station
>> owner to rent the trailer and send part of the fees back
>> to the owner.
>>
>> I remember being 5 or 6 and wanting to go to the neighbor's
>> house on a Sunday.  My mother told that was not the thing
>> to do because Sunday was family day.
>>
>> Our country has changed. We have lost the sense of community
>
> [snipped]
>
>> I miss the good 'ol days.

Keith Smith