OT: the concrete jungle (was re anonymously)

joe at actionline.com joe at actionline.com
Sat May 2 12:27:10 MST 2015

Great story about U-Haul, Keith.
Never heard that one before.

And your comments about "the good-old-days" made me remember
how blessed I was to grow up in a little town of 3,500 back
in the center of Nebraska in the 1950s. In so many ways, it
was like that wonderful old Andy Griffith TV show Mayberry USA.

My first job at age 7 or so was putting hand-bills on cars
and trucks parked around the city square; and I vividly
remember that every car and truck had the windows rolled
down and the keys left in the ignition.

My family's house did not even have locks on the doors.

---------------
> Your concrete wall statement made me think of a time when
> a guy rented a trailer to a person who was on the move.
> The trailer owner had no infrastructure to manage renting
> trailers. He had only one thing, the good will and honesty
> of his fellow Americans.  Uhaul was built on the good will
> and integrity of American business men. The trailer would
> make it's way to it's destination and be dropped off at a
> gas station, I presume with a note telling the gas station
> owner to rent the trailer and send part of the fees back
> to the owner.
>
> I remember being 5 or 6 and wanting to go to the neighbor's
> house on a Sunday.  My mother told that was not the thing
> to do because Sunday was family day.
>
> Our country has changed. We have lost the sense of community

[snipped]