Cox 50Mb x 10Mb

Michael Butash michael at butash.net
Mon Mar 2 14:41:06 MST 2015

The only actual difference in service is a config file, less bandwidth
at the modem, and your ip addressing.  Nothing else changes, you still
terminate on the same gear as your neighbors, only you get a config file
with less port filters and allowable mac addresses for cpe's behind the
modem for allowed hosts to get public addresses via dhcp or static.
Recently they were testing sending cbs customers out local peering
direct vs. all the way to LA or Dallas as they normally do, might still be.

The on-call techs are really what you're paying for with cbs, if/when
the coax goes out they will come same day, and generally a better
quality of tech coming to your house.  These days, ymmv though, they're
starting to scrape the bottom of the barrel for labor as a whole in cox.

For my money, I stay on residential, even though more or less I have a
business network behind it, one address suits me just fine.  Everything
I need to do outside is more or less personal, unless my servers need an
update or something, or I vpn somewhere else.  I found out a few years
ago cox stopped filtering a lot of things on residential, lo and behold
I could now hit 443 on residential service - then I really didn't need
business services.

Another annoyance of cox's "bleed the rock" shenanigans, they no longer
allow you to buy a second address on anything less than their "ultimate"
plan.  I wanted a separate address for my business firewall and my
personal/residential one, and (after 4 calls) told that only way to do
that was to go with ultimate or business.  I don't need the bandwidth, I
just want to logically separate my connected entities with different
external addresses. Argh.

-mb