wargames

Keith Smith techlists at phpcoderusa.com
Mon Mar 2 08:30:28 MST 2015

I learned how to program at the junior college and the university.  I
started in academia in 1983 with punch cards. From my experience I would
recommend learning how to program by learning straight old C. If your
really apply yourself and really learn C you will have a better go of
things when working with other languages. Assembler is a good idea as
well.  You may never use it however it will give you some interesting
insight. Stay away from Object Oriented Programming until you master C.
Then learn OOP.

On 2015-03-01 23:47, Michael Havens wrote:
> I am tackling a hard task. I was talking with someone on IRC and this
> is part of the exchange we had:
>
> <bmike1> I've decided I need to learn scripting before I do the other
> wargames
> <bmike1> what do you think? BASH or Python?
> <doskop> both have their applications
> <doskop> although I hardly use advanced bash scripts to solve
> challenges
> <doskop> so I'd go for python
> <doskop> if you're interested in the other overthewire wargames...
> understanding php is pretty much a requirements for natas
>
> <doskop> for the other OTW wargames, some understanding of C, C++
> and/or assembly is very useful
>
> So I need to learn a few things.
> Does anyone have any personal experience with learning any of these on
> your own or have you gone through a book and thought, 'Gosh, I wish
> they would have taught me that way.' If so please, share with the
> class.

Keith Smith