Chromium -vs- chrome on Linux Mint?

Michael Butash michael at butash.net
Mon Jun 1 19:42:16 MST 2015

I do this often, mostly because either/or are so unstable, general
internet use tends to crash it pretty often.

I use a voip service (switch.co), that I cannot have crash randomly with
some stupid video that decides to blast flash stupidity or invasive
script at it tends to.  Therefore I install the chrome app on both, but
launch some apps under chrome, while I use chromium for general internet
stuff so if it does pop, I don't lose a call.  Especially when just
downloading something tends to crash Chromium these days.

Biggest issue I find is that I now have 3 profiles, on each chrom*, that
launch independent memory space for each tab, each liking to load a few
hundred local libraries each, consuming obscene gobs of memory for
each.  Suddenly between chrome AND chromium, chews up a good 12gb of ram
at times with an factoral explosion of resources.  I had to increase my
open file handler limits to some obscene limits due to its...
consumption, and I still think it's the bain of my system evils.

Switch, hangouts, and other things like that are all gapps I'm now
enslaved to, why I put 32gb of ram in my systems if at all possible.
Chrom* doesn't seem to be intent on becoming any less piggish anytime soon.

I also had to recreate the "chrome apps" menu folder in the windows
manager as syncing the apps with profiles, both import all
extensions/apps automagically, recreating shortcuts, and being not good
enough to tell me which browser the same apps on both represent to open
them on only one.  I wish I could use only one...

-mb