Samba Connecting, cannot transfer files

James Dugger james.dugger at gmail.com
Fri Jul 31 22:18:34 MST 2015

I worked as a developer for the State developing and maintaining an
intranet based in Drupal 7.  The site served just under 2000 employees, 7
divisions contributed content to the site, which included department
events, rss feeds to the different program blogs, ties to social media,
traffic cam images of the freeways, forms and policies, employee handbook,
policies, programs, calendaring items, commenting, and comment
notifications, etc.

Lots of polices in the form of PDF's stored in the files folder under
default.  We had 3 years of versioning.  Tons of images of events,
programs, procedures, etc. The site consisted of about 320 modules
(including core), The main database (MySQL) had upwards of 285 tables.  The
site was a hybrid 2 frameworks and 2 MySQL databases,  Laravel and Drupal
7.  We used javascript plugins like social stream, the Twitter api,
Instagram's OAuth2 api.

The front end was built in Foundation 4, with SCSS for mobile first.  Lots
of jQuery.  All in all it was about 420,000 lines of code, between CSS,
JavaScript, PHP.  A SQL dump of the main database was about 55MB.  I
developed locally with a full copy on my MacBook Pro.  I didn't do the
initial build, a vendor did, I maintained and extended its features, and
spent a lot of time improving response times by tweaking the LAMP stack
settings, Drupal's config settings, and implementing cache.

Heavy use of Features, Context, Display Suite, Views, Flags, Rules, tons of
others etc.  all of the major modules, We were implementing Apache Solr and
Tika to crawl the pdf files and build an internal index of all the policies
etc. and create a faceted search feature for the site when I left the state
and started at my current position.

On Fri, Jul 31, 2015 at 8:37 PM, Keith Smith <techlists at phpcoderusa.com>
wrote:

> [...]
>
> I'll look into NAS.
>
> Thanks very much!!
>
> btw I'd like to hear more about your 1g Drupal install.
>

> On 2015-07-31 19:42, James Dugger wrote:
>
>> ​Virtualbox has a plugin called Guest Additions which is an iso that
>> you can download, and configure to add file sharing capabilities
>> between the guest VM and the host system.  You can then mount a host
>> folder and it will show up as a native folder on the VM.  ​While
>> this is convenient and fairly easy to use it has a few draw backs.  It
>> can be slow to access and some have reported file corruption issues
>> when there are  a large amount of files and subfolders in the share.
>> This may not be an issue for you depending on use case.
>>
>> I use VirtualBox VM's as LAMP servers for local development and test
>> environments for my web application projects.  One Drupal project had
>> 1+GB of core/module/templates and custom templates in it.  Using Guest
>> Additions to share the document root folder of the project with my
>> MacBook Pro core i5 with 8 GB proved to be slow for the VM to render
>> the site in my test browsers (upwards of 10 - 20 seconds sometimes).
>> The fastest/simplest share setup was to use an NFS mount in the VM.
>>
>> If your file sharing use case is for Web development you may find that
>> samba is not any faster (even when you get it working) and may be
>> slower than Guest Additions (GA). Just an FYI.  I only use Samba as a
>> fileserver (NAS) when I have to have the share accessible to Windows,
>> Mac, and Linux machines.  There are other options besides NFS that
>> offer more security and more features for mission critical production
>> file sharing, but if your use case is simple local web
>> development/testing NFS is (I think) the simplest to implement. and
>> faster than GA or Samba.
>>
>> Just my 2 cents.
>>
>> On Fri, Jul 31, 2015 at 6:50 PM, Keith Smith
>> <techlists at phpcoderusa.com> wrote:
>>
>> Not on both. Interesting on the "Vm writable" = yes does not show.
>>>
>>> There was a couple differences. The VN mirrors the one that works.
>>> restarted nmb and smb and still cannot write files. While I was
>>> researching this issue today I found that others were complaining
>>> about not being able to write to guest VM's on VirtualBox, Linux to
>>> Linux.
>>>
>>> I also found a reference that said VirtualBox has a way to to file
>>> transfers. I need to read it. Maybe this week end... I have other
>>> thing that need my attention. Sure would like to find an answer. I
>>> think it is a VirtualBox thing.
>>>
>>> Thank you for all your ideas and help!!
>>>
>>> Keith
>>>
>>> On 2015-07-31 18:22, James Dugger wrote:
>>>
>>> ​Have you run testparm from the command line on both of your
>>> samba
>>> servers to see what is different between the servers​
>>>
>>> On Fri, Jul 31, 2015 at 2:04 PM, Keith Smith
>>> <techlists at phpcoderusa.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> I modified my valid user to correspond to yours.

>>> path = /work
>>> browsable = yes
> [...]
>>> named 'keith' in /etc/group and the group ownership of all files
>>> and
>>> folders is listed as keith, than you should only need:
>>> valid users = @keith
>>> and it should be working.
>>>
>>> If the ownership of the group is not correct. from the parent
>>> directory of the share folder you may want to do:
>>> chown -R keith:keith <share_folder>/
>>>
>>> On Fri, Jul 31, 2015 at 11:38 AM, Keith Smith
>>> <techlists at phpcoderusa.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Thanks James!
>>>
>>> It mounts OK and I can create directories, just cannot upload
>>> files.
>>>
>>> On 2015-07-31 11:24, James Dugger wrote:
>>>
>>> ​Have you checked for any conflicts in the options portion in the
>>> mount statement of the drive where the share is located in the
>>> fstab
>>> file of the samba server ... with the mount statement on the samba
>>> client box? Your cifs mount statement calls for the username
>>> option.
>>> ​, does the mount statement for the drive where the file being
>>> shared on the server allow this user name option?​
>>>>>>>>>
>>> I'm mounting the actual drive on my samba server as ext4 with
>>> defaults. I am mounting the share on two mac boxes using cifs.
>>> ​ My shares are used for backup not daily rw activity.​
>>>
>>> Are you mounting using cifs ?
>>>
>>> My share is in CentOS 6.6 and my desktop is Mint 17 kde.
>>>
>>> I have a samba server on a LAMP dev box and it mounds just fine
>>> using
>>> cifs with the mount command being in the fstab.
>>>
>>> I wonder if there is a conflix between the two boxes or if there
>>> is
>>> something I am missing.
>>>
>>> I spun up a minimul CentOS VM and can ping etc. Turned off
>>> SElinux
>>> and IPTables. Installed and configured Samba and the same thing is
>>> happening.
>>>
>>> I can connect and brows just not upload files. I can even create
>>> directories.
>>>
>>> I set the share to 0777.
>>>
>>> Could this be a VM thing?
>>>
>>> On 2015-07-26 19:01, James Dugger wrote:
>>>
>>> I set up my own share declaration at the end of the smb.conf file.
>>> For example I have a simple one called [archive] that allows
>>> backups
>>> to be placed on a server running Ubuntu 15.04 server edition.
>>>
>>> I create the samba users and passwords for each user (these match
>>> their unix user accounts)
>>> I set the appropriate unix permissions for the group that I want
>>> typically 775.
>>> I create a group called "archive" in /etc/group and then add all
>>> of
>>> the users who are to have access to it into the archive group.
>>> the valid users = @group_name is the key that allows samba to
>>> control
>>> the access to samba share.
>>>
>>> The key is add the the users to the group in /etc/group and to make
>>> sure that they have a mapped samba username and password.

>>> comment = backup drive
>>> path = /srv/archive
>>> browseable = yes
>>> guest ok = no
>>> valid users = @archive
>>>
>>> There are other options but I usually find that the I forget to
>>> update
>>> the /etc/group file.
>>>
>>> Hope that helps
>>>
>>> On Sun, Jul 26, 2015 at 11:33 AM, Keith Smith
>>> <techlists at phpcoderusa.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Thanks for the link.
>>>
>>> My smbpasswd is in /usr/bin/smbpasswd
>>>
>>> Just to make sure I : touch /etc/samba/smbpasswd
>>>
>>> then I :
>>> smbpasswd -x username
>>> smbpasswd -a username
>>>
>>> still same issue.
>>>
>>> Remove /etc/samba/smbpasswd
>>>
>>> I've created several directories off of /work/ on the samba
>>> server
>>> using the Samba server's command line. Using Dolphin on my
>>> desktop
>>> I can add directories to /work/ - they have correct permissions
>>> and
>>> ownership. However I get a permissions dialog when adding files
> [...]
>>> Dolphin on my desktop there is no error and no file shows up.
>>>
>>> Thank you for your help!!
>>> Keith
>>>
>>> On 2015-07-26 10:28, Stephen Partington wrote:
>>>

>> http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-newbie-8/samba-smbpasswd-file-missing-750367/
>>
>>> [1]
>>> [1]
>>>
>>> [4]
>>>
>>> [3]
>>>
>>> [1]
>>> [3]
>>>
>>> On Sun, Jul 26, 2015 at 10:22 AM, Keith Smith
>>> <techlists at phpcoderusa.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Thanks!! I added the Samba user as one of the first steps. My
>>> smb.config shows "passdb backend = tdbsam". I cannot find the
>>> tdbsam file. What am I missing?
>>>
>>> On 2015-07-26 09:56, Todd Millecam wrote:
>>>
>>> If I remember right, samba doesn't follow regular *nix
>>> permissions.
>>> Try running the command:
>>> smbadduser
>>>
>>> to get your user name and password in. Use those credentials when
>>> you
>>> login to transfer files and see if it works.
>>>
>>> On Sun, Jul 26, 2015 at 10:18 AM, Keith Smith
>>> <techlists at phpcoderusa.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I am running Mint 17 KDE. I've uploaded Virtualbox and created a
>>> vm using CentOS 6.6. On the CentOS 6.6 VM I installed Samba.
>>>
>>> I created a user on the VM and created the same user as a Samba
>>> user.
>>> I created a directory off root : /work
>>> smb and nmb are both running.
>>> in the /etc/samba/smb.conf I:
>>> 1) set the workgroup - I do not think this is necessary since I
>>> am
>>> connection from Linux.
>>> 2) commented out all the cups references
>>> 3) added the following lines:
>>>
>>> - path = /work
>>> - writable = yes
>>> - browseable = yes
>>> - read only = no
>>>
>>> SELinux is disables
>>> IPTables is disabled
>>>
>>> I have the exact same config on a laptop running CentOS 6.6 and
>>> it
>>> works fine. Only difference is the laptop mounts and connects to
>>> Samba from the fstab.
>>>
>>> To connect to the Samba share on the VM I issue the following
>>> command from my desktop's command line:
>>>
>>> sudo mount -t cifs -o user='username' //192.168.20.51/work/ [2] [2]
>>>
>>> [1]
>>>
>>> [1]
>>>
>>> [2] [1]
>>> [1]
>>>
>>> /mnt/centos6 (command line on my desktop)
>>>
>>> It mounts and I can view the /work directory in Dolphin on the
>>> the
>>> parent (mint 17 KDE desktop).
>>>
>>> I cannot upload files though.
>>>
>>> To test I : chmod -R 777 /work which did not help.
>>>
>>> I checked the Samba logs and they contain almost nothing - no
>>> errors are being logged.
>>>
>>> I've scoured the internet and am finding no solution.

>>> [2]
>>> [3]
>>> [2] [2]
>>>
>>> --
>>>
>>> Todd Millecam
>>>
>>> Links:
>>> ------
>>> [1] http://192.168.20.51/work/ [2] [2] [1] [1] [2] [1]
>>> [2]
>>> [2]
>>> [3] [2]

>>> [2]
>>> [3]
>>> [2]
>>>
>>> --
>>> Keith Smith
>>> [2]
>>> [3]
>>> [2]
>>>
>>> --
>>>
>>> A mouse trap, placed on top of your alarm clock, will prevent you
>>> from
>>> rolling over and going back to sleep after you hit the snooze
>>> button.
>>>
>>> Stephen
>>>
>>> Links:
>>> ------

> [...]