O/T : Looking for an entry level LAMP developer for contract work.

Amy Nielsen amyjoan48 at gmail.com
Fri Jul 31 19:37:42 MST 2015

I think problem solving skills are vital, because no matter who you are
chances are that eventually something will break and you are not familiar
with the system at all. You may know Linux, Windows, Servers, but what
broke was internet protocol settings, which you don't work on normally.
Using the same process for every problem will work, and then you can
identify the information to read to learn your fix. Identify the actual
problem, including the priority and level of impact on the company. Using
your knowledge of what is working right, you should be able to come up with
a theory, an educated guess. Next, assuming you are right, you would try
out the tool or setting that will fix the hypothetical issue to see if it
works. If not, try again. If so, then document everything, your knowledge,
your guesses, your steps towards the fix. Then test it to see if everything
has returned to normal functionality, and test thoroughly. If you still
have problems, no worries, because every time you get it wrong you still
know more, and either success of failure needs documentation. Some time
down the road another person can use your information to fix their problem.
When you don't have any ideas, it is time to consult any available
documentation, manuals, forums are very helpful, not forgetting good old
google. If you can reach out to a friend in the industry great. Most
important is not knowing how to fix something, it is knowing how to find
information because then there is nothing you can't do with the right book
or help.

On Fri, Jul 31, 2015 at 6:22 PM, Keith Smith <techlists at phpcoderusa.com>
wrote:

> why lock records on a read?
>

> On 2015-07-31 16:24, David Schwartz wrote:
>
>> Here’s something:
>>
>> A while back I had a contract in a support Dept at a Big Corp in town.
>> When I started, I was told, “Don’t do anything except hold their
>> hands.”
>>
>> One Friday morning about two weeks into the contract, I arrived at
>> work and everybody in my Dept was gone except me. I wasn’t alerted
>> ahead of time.
>>
>> Around 11:45 AM, three people appeared at my cube door: the FInance
>> Mgr (head of Dept), Payroll Mgr, and someone else.
>>
>> The FM said, “I guess you’re the only Support person here today.” I
>> said, “Looks that way.”
>>
>> He said, “Look, we’ve got a problem here and I need you to get it
>> fixed. TODAY. If you don’t your contract is caput. We need someone who
>> can fix this crap NOW.”
>>
>> As far as SteveT’s question goes … THIS IS PURE PROBLEM-SOLVING
>> ABILITY. I had no exposure or knowledge to their system at all. I’d
>> been there for 2 weeks and didn’t have a clue about their software,
>> hardware, network, or anything.
>>

>> I’m like, “Well, ok. What’s the problem?”
>>
>> They proceeded to explain it to me … which I’ll summarize here only
>> because some of you will get a chuckle out of it.
>>
>> Payroll starts running their check run at 11:30 AM.  After about 10
>> minutes, it hangs-up. They have to abort the run, void the checks, and
>> start over. It usually keeps happening. They run it specifically over
>> lunch because most of the Financial Dept is at lunch, so nobody’s
>> online.
>>
>> I poked around and noticed there were a couple of people running
>> reports, including the gal in the cube next to me. (They ran these
>> reports that went to Epsons dot-matrix printers and they’d run for
>> about 45 minutes.)
>>
>> BTW, this is some kind of accounting system running on a bunch of old
>> DOS machines (circa 1995) hooked into a Banyan Vines LAN, sharing
>> access to files on a file server.
>>
>> I looked at how the gal in the next cube ran her reports. It was a
>> batch file that looked like this:
>>
>> runrptapp.exe xyz abc >lpt
>>
>> (I forget what devices were on DOS, but … notice the right-arrow.)
>>
>> Digging around, I discovered that this app, which I’m calling
>> runrptapp.exe, opens the database file on the server, which happens to
>> be the same database file the Payroll app used. It was a very popular
>> database back then (i forget the name, but it’s not dBase). I happened
>> to know that that particular database used FILE-LEVEL locking.
>>
>> Notice the right-arrow …
>>
>> Question: who starts off their reports first: the gal in the next
>> cube, or Payroll?
>>
>> Answer: gal in the next cube! At 11 AM, because she needs it for a 2PM
>> meeting, and it usually crashes over lunch and needs to be restarted.
>>
>> Did you notice the right-arrow ...
>>
>> What happens is she runs her report and the printer is fed data in
> [...]

*Amy Nielsen*